Clay County Circuit Court Judge Michael McHaney ruled against Gov Pritzker’s extended Stay-At-Home order, granting a restraining order to State Rep. Darren Bailey, who filed the lawsuit against the governor.
Republican State Rep. Darren Bailey of Xenia, Illinois claimed in the lawsuit that Democrat Gov. Pritzker exceeded his authority when he extended his Stay-At-Home order through May 30th last week.
The twist to this case is the ruling only applies to Bailey and exempts him from the new stay-at-home order. Bailey said in a statement “Enough is enough, I filed this lawsuit on behalf of myself and my constituents who are ready to go back to work and resume a normal life.”
Legal experts have begun to weigh in and predict others could file similar lawsuits against the stay-at-home measure now that precedent has been set.
“Representative Bailey’s decision to go to the courts is an insult to all Illinoisans who have been lost during this COVID-19 crisis. It’s a danger to millions of people who might get ill because of his recklessness,” Pritzker said Monday. “Disasters don’t evaporate on a 30-day timeframe. Legislators took this into account when they wrote this law. We will fight this lawsuit to the furthest means possible. In the interim, we will be issuing new public health directives so we can respond to this public health crisis.”
“We are certainly going to act in a swift action to have this ruling overturned,” Pritzker said. Pritzker said he plans to issue new public health directives until the suit is resolved.